‘Twas The Sick Before Christmas

This probably will rate as one of the worst weekends we’ve had as a family in a while.

Thumper came down sick on Monday evening, and emptied the contents of his stomach all over himself and me, and continued to dry heave for the rest of the night.  But by Tuesday morning, he was feeling fine.  And he stayed fine until Thursday morning, when he started again, two minutes before his therapist walked in the door (and promptly left).  At that point, I was completely confused on how he could be completely fine for 48 hours and then begin again?  But it was short-lived and limited to only Thursday morning.

And then the REAL fun began.

Ane woke up vomiting at 4 am Friday morning, and since she’s in a top bunk, she didn’t quite make it anywhere in time.  She showered while the Webmaster and I, half-conscious, began a big cleanup job.  Rerun, in the bottom bunk, slept through it all.  We put Ane up on the couch for the rest of the night, with a bucket nearby – which she needed, so we made the right call.

At 8 am, I got up to start moving Tad toward the door for school, at least, when Rerun greeted me in the hallway with a hand clapped over his mouth and a panicked look.  “GET IN THE BATHROOM!!!” I hollered at him.  He made it to the linoleum floor just in time.  That was a lot easier to clean that the hall carpet.  The Webmaster stripped and showered him while I went to check on his bed – and discovered the cause of his panicked look.  Cue bed strip number two and the next load of laundry.

Tad got off to school without incident, and the Webmaster took a day off to help out with Ane and Rerun, since both Tad and Thumper had their regular ABA sessions that afternoon.  Rerun drank nothing but water, napped for some hours, and woke up peaked, but feeling better.  Ane continued to feel wretched and heave all through the day.

Saturday morning, both Ane and Rerun were feeling better, but now the Webmaster was down for the count, and the events of the last two days were catching up with me.  The kids got a lot of time with cartoons, iPads, and the Xbox while their Dad was busy being sick, and their Mom was just too tired to deal with them.  And Tad… was still fine.  I kept giving him the side eye, expecting him to drop at any second, but no.

Sunday, Ane and I went to church and ran errands while the Webmaster stayed home to recover, and kept the boys (without both of us there, it would have been complicated, and I had to teach a class) with him.  All was going well until Tad said, “My brain hurts,” and ran for the bathroom.

However, nothing happened, despite our momentary panic.  Tad was having a migraine, and his last couple have triggered a feeling of nausea for him (though they haven’t made him throw up yet).  Some ibuprofen and a short nap later, and he was feeling fine.

So, as I write, it looks like the worst of it is over.  Fingers crossed.

One Response to “‘Twas The Sick Before Christmas”

  1. Ressis
    December 14th, 2015 05:34

    Yeah, I’m kind of glad I don’t live nearby right now.